FDP January 2022 Virtual Meeting

Agenda and Session Descriptions

(All times are Eastern Standard Time)

 

Click here to register for the January 2022 meeting.

 

Monday, January 10

 

11:00 - 12:30

Update from President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST)

 

Description: A fireside chat with Maria Zuber, co-chair of PCAST about the current activities of the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology

 

Speaker: Maria Zuber, Vice President for Research Massachusetts Institute of Technology and co-chair the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST)

 

1:00 - 2:00

Coffee Hour

 

Description: Join us for some community and networking. We will set up some breakout discussion rooms based on topics that you select. We will use a new tool called ThoughtExchange to crowdsource ideas for topics from the people who have registered for the session. After registration has opened, we’ll send an email to everyone registered for the session with a link and some instructions on how to use the new tool. We hope to see you there.

 

 

2:30 - 4:30

Federal Agency Updates 

 

Description: Representatives from the Federal Agency Members will update the membership on activities at their agencies.

 

5:00 - 6:00

Overview of proposed new NSF Directorate: Technology, Innovation and Partnerships 

Description: Overview of proposed new NSF Directorate: Technology, Innovation and Partnerships.

 

Speakers: Erwin Gianchandani and Graciela Narcho, Senior Advisors in the Office of the Director

 

Tuesday, January 11

 

11:00 - 12:30

Research Administration Committee

 

Description: This session will include updates and discussion on two of the Subcommittees within the Research Admin Committees: Contracts Subcommittee, and Expanded Clearinghouse Subcommittee.

 

The Contracts Subcommittee will provide an update of the planning status for the new Toublesome Clauses Database initiative. The group will also discuss other current initiatives as well as ideas for future projects

 

The Expanded Clearinghouse Subcommittee will provide users general updates on enhancements and new participants since September’s meeting. The primary focus will be to poll those users who utilize the Clearinghouse for subrecipient risk assessment and ongoing monitoring in order to consider future enhancements. In particular, the Subcommittee would like feedback in the following areas:

• Proposed new questions for audit findings related to research and PTE funding, and a requirement to list page numbers of findings.

• Possible elimination of questions related to audit finding severity.

• General feedback on the usefulness of the Expanded Clearinghouse for subrecipient risk assessment and audit review vs. other sources.

 

We hope that hands-on users will be able to attend and participate in this session so we can be better informed on future system enhancements to further reduce administrative burden.

 

Speakers: Lynette Arias, University of Washington

 

1:00 - 2:30

Subawards

 

Description: The subawards sub-committee co-chairs will lead a discussion on various topics including the FFATA burden and DTUA Attachment 7 surveys; the recent listening sessions on subaward invoicing; limiting F&A on subawards; and issuing subawards to federally funded research and development centers (FFRDCs). There will also be quick updates on other working groups, subaward template formatting, and the COVID vaccine mandate as a condition in federal contracts/subcontracts. The subawards sub-committee will begin seeking applicants for one new co-chair beginning at the January 2022 meeting.

 

Speakers: Amanda Hamaker, Purdue University; Kevin Ritchie, Harvard University; Kari Tetrault, Institute for Systems Biology

 

 

3:00 - 4:00

Finance, Auditing, and Costing 

 

Description: The Finance, Audit and Costing (FAC) Policy Committee will continue the discussions from the last FDP meeting and focus on reducing administrative burden in the areas of financial, audit, and costing policies. We will discuss the planned Data Management and Sharing working group and the potential for other FAC subcommittees and/or working groups such as Treasury/NSF Grants Payment Pilot, Cash Management & Reporting Initiatives (joint initiatives between federal partners and institutions including FCTR Elimination, Treasury Offset, “Pennies” (de minimis refunds post-closeout), FFR Migration, Training Grant reporting etc.).

 

Speakers: Michelle Bulls, National Institutes of Health, Cindy Hope, Georgia Institute of Technology, Christi Keene, University of Chicago, along with other committee members

 

 

4:30 - 6:00

Faculty Forum

 

Description: The group will be discussing the next iteration of the Faculty Workload Survey and planning the next steps.

 

 

Wednesday, January 12

 

11:00 - 12:30

National Science Foundation Proposal Modernization Update

 

Description: This session will focus on the goals of the NSF modernization update and how it affects research institutions.

 

Speakers:  Stephanie Yee, National Science Foundation

 

 

1:00 - 2:30

Foreign Influence Working Group Key Updates 

 

Description: This session will include a brief reprise of the status of major federal legislation and regulatory changes (including NIH 1/25/22 changes, the status of NSPM implementation, DARPA's risk matrix, DOE's changes in its foreign national requirements) followed by updates from FIWG's two major working groups, KIC and MART. The KIC group (Key Investigator Clearinghouse) will talk about progress made since the last FDP meeting on the potential creation of a national repository to house investigator biosketch and other support-type data that would be controlled by faculty yet able to have data harvested by their institutions and possibly federal agencies.  The MART (Matrix for Assessment of Risk and Transparency) workgroup will talk about progress they have made toward designing a nationally-available tool to help institutions work with their faculty to collectively assess risk of certain kinds of arrangements with outside entities (including foreign entities), and to help determine whether such arrangements need to be disclosed to the federal government.

 

Speakers: Robin Cyr, Northeastern University; Jean Feldman, National Science Foundation; Jim Luther, FDP; Lori Schultz, University of Arizona; Pamela Webb, University of Minnesota

 

 

3:00 - 4:00

FACT

 

Description: This session will primarily focus on reviewing the past, present, and future of FACT. After several years as a working group, it is time for FACT to review its accomplishments, discuss future activities, and consider its place within the FDP structure. Please join us for a discussion of how FACT can continue to support the mission of the FDP by enhancing the interaction between research faculty and administrators. Faculty and administrative representatives from institutions are encouraged to attend together.

 

Speakers: FACT members

 

4:30 - 6:00

Research Compliance Committee

 

Description: The Research Compliance Committee will provide updates and facilitate discussion around Human Subjects, Data Stewardship, and Conflict of Interest Subcommittee activities. In addition, we will provide updates on the outcomes of the IACUC MOU working group, progress of the Compliance Unit Standard Procedure (CUSP) initiative, and discuss potential new committee projects.

 

Speaker: Amanda Humphrey, Northeastern University; Lindsey Spangler, Duke University; Debra Murphy, Arizona State University; John Baumann, Indiana University; Christopher Martin, Rutgers; Jennifer Welch, Brown University; Aubrey Schoenleben, University of Washington; Sally Thompson-Iritani, University of Washington

 

6:00 - 7:00

Faculty Happy Hour

 

Description: This is a chance for Faculty, and others, to get together and renew friendships and acquaintances and make some new ones. Join us for some friendly discussion and fellowship.

 

 

Thursday, January 13

 

3:00 - 4:00

January 2022 Release of NSPM-33 Guidance (Guidance for Implementing National Security Presidential Memorandum 33) 

 

Description: This session will include an overview of the NSPM and recent progress (per the initial 1/14/21 Pres. Trump NSPM communication and Dr. Landers recent communications) and initial observations by the FDP Foreign Influence Working Group (FIWG) on the recently released Report entitled “Guidance for Implementing National Security Presidential Memorandum 33 (NSPM-33) on National Security Strategy for the United States Government-Supported Research and Development”.  We will be using a ThoughtExchange to gather your input and concerns and the output of this session will be provided to federal partners to support future discussions.

 

Speakers: Members of the FDP Foreign Influence Working Group (FIWG)

 

 

4:30 - 6:00

Committee Report Outs

Description: There is a lot of activity going on in the FDP. In this session we will hear from the Communications Committee, Research System & Technology Committee (formerly the eRA Committee), the Evaluation Working Group and the Reimagining FDP Meetings Working Group.

 

Speakers: Stephanie Scott, Columbia University; Jennifer Taylor, Tennessee Technological University; Lori Schultz, University of Arizona; David Saunders, National Science Foundation; Robert Nobels, Emory University; Ron Splittgerber, Colorado State University; Miriam Campo, Florida Atlantic University